Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Would I want to be a customer? an employee?

Well, I suppose I am an occasional customer. Although we seem to use UPS more routinely at work, I don't have a stronger loyalty to one shipping company or the other, and have never had any major problems using either FedEx, UPS or USPS. As far as employment, I am not sure. In the first quarter 2011 earning call, the Fred Smith discusses the company's People-Service-Profit philosophy in response to questions about consolidation of FedEx freight, which involved closure of some facilities and a reduction in headcount. If I worked there I would definitely want to already have high seniority.

2 comments:

  1. I understand that the drivers earn relatively high wages. I wonder what the benefits are though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a wife of a FedEx Senior Manager, I can say that it is an excellent company to work for. It has provided a good career path for my husband as he started out as a handler tossing boxes when he was in college. Now, mind you, it is an extremely stressful job, especially at this time of year and in the poor economic times we have today. But if asked he would say it is a great company to work for.

    And to answer the comment from Jerry, FedEx has great health benefits, or at least they do on the FedEx Express side of the company. I can not answer that for the other divisions i.e. FedEx Ground, etc. as a lot of their drivers are contracted employees not FedEx employees.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete